You are here
Plant Nematode Sample Submission
The PIDC provides soybean cyst nematode egg counts, information about thresholds and rotation information. We also provide complete nematode counts for corn, turf, and other grassy plants.
If your sample is from outside of Iowa do not submit it without contacting us we have strict limitations on soil movement.
Fee: $35.00 do not send payment with your sample. You will receive a statement from Iowa State University.
Complete nematode counts
Complete nematode counts are counts of the common grass feeding nematodes. We provide genera level identification and how many of each genera are in your sample. We also provide information on thresholds and if management is warranted.
How to collect samples from turfgrass:
- Take samples with a soil probe not a cup cutter
- 10-20 soil cores
- Depth of about 4-6 inches – as deep as the grass roots
- Place cores from green into a sealable plastic bag
- Be sure to keep sample out of sun and cool prior to shipping (refrigerator)
- Ship in a box with newspaper or other packing materials to prevent too much shaking
- If weather is very hot ship overnight.