Is the poinsettia poisonous?

Question: 

Is the poinsettia poisonous?

Answer: 

The poinsettia has long been regarded as poisonous.  However, research conducted at various institutions has shown the poinsettia is not poisonous.  While the poinsettia is not poisonous, it is not intended for human or animal consumption.  Individuals are still advised to keep the poinsettia out of the reach of small children and pets. 

One potential health problem associated with the poinsettia is dermatitis or an irritation to the skin.  When a poinsettia stem is cut or broken, milky sap oozes from the wound.  Some individuals may develop a skin irritation if the milky sap comes in contact with their skin. 

 

Tags: 

Links to this article are strongly encouraged, and this article may be republished without further permission if published as written and if credit is given to the author, Horticulture and Home Pest News, and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. If this article is to be used in any other manner, permission from the author is required. This article was originally published on . The information contained within may not be the most current and accurate depending on when it is accessed.