You are here
One of my houseplants has small, yellow mushrooms on the surface of the potting soil. Will the mushrooms harm it?
One of my houseplants has several small, yellow mushrooms on the surface of the potting soil. Will the mushrooms harm the plant?
The small, yellow mushroom is probably Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The fungus is sometimes referred to as yellow houseplant mushroom, yellow parasol, or flower pot parasol. This species can be found outside in summer, but is most commonly found year-round with potted plants or in greenhouses. The small, lemon yellow mushrooms are about 1 to 3 inches tall with 1 to 2 inch oval or bell-shaped caps. They may appear singly or in clusters.
The Leucocoprinus birnbaumii fungus breaks down dead organic matter in the potting soil. It does not harm living plants. However, the mushrooms are regarded as poisonous to people and animals. If pets or small children reside in the home, it would be wise to remove the mushrooms as they appear. Fungicide treatments are generally not effective against mushrooms.
To learn more about mushrooms see Mushroom Questions Answered
Links to this article are strongly encouraged, and this article may be republished without further permission if published as written and if credit is given to the author, Horticulture and Home Pest News, and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. If this article is to be used in any other manner, permission from the author is required. This article was originally published on . The information contained within may not be the most current and accurate depending on when it is accessed.