You are here
I would like to establish some perennial beds in my yard, but I don't have a great deal of time for maintenance chores.
I would like to establish some perennial beds in my yard, but I don't have a great deal of time for maintenance chores. What are some good low maintenance perennials?
All perennials require some maintenance. Watering, fertilizing, pinching, staking, deadheading, dividing, and providing winter protection are common maintenance chores. Some perennials require frequent attention through the growing season. Others require minimal care.
Low Maintenance Perennials for Sunny Locations
- butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
- false blue indigo (Baptisia australis)
- hardy geranium (Geranium spp.)
- hardy zinnia (Heliopsis helianthoides)
- daylily (Hemerocallis spp.)
- Siberian iris (Iris sibirica)
- blazing star (Liatris spp.)
- daffodil (Narcissus spp.)
- peony (Paeonia hybrids)
- Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia)
- moss phlox (Phlox subulata)
- balloon flower (Platycodon grandiflorus)
- coneflower (Rudbeckia spp.)
- perennial salvia (Salvia x superba)
- sedum (Sedum spp.)
- speedwell (Veronica spp.)
- ornamental grasses (various species).
Low maintenance perennials for partial to heavy shade
- lady’s mantle (Alchemilla mollis)
- Canadian wild ginger (Asarum canadense)
- heartleaf brunnera (Brunnera macrophylla)
- turtlehead (Chelone spp.)
- bleeding heart (Dicentra spp.)
- barrenwort (Epimedium spp.)
- hosta (Hosta spp.)
- creeping phlox (Phlox stolonifera)
- lungwort (Pulmonaria spp.)
- bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)
- foam flower (Tiarella spp.)
- ferns (various species).
Links to this article are strongly encouraged, and this article may be republished without further permission if published as written and if credit is given to the author, Horticulture and Home Pest News, and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. If this article is to be used in any other manner, permission from the author is required. This article was originally published on . The information contained within may not be the most current and accurate depending on when it is accessed.